What is an S/MIME certificate?
Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (S/MIME) certificates secure email communication through end-to-end encryption and identify the sender with a digital signature. They are a standard for encrypting public keys and signing MIME data.
S/MIME certificates allow email recipients to identify the email’s source, enabling employees to verify that the email comes from a CEO, CFO, or another member within the organization and trust the “From” address of the email.
What is included in the Entrust S/MIME Certificate Solution?
When we refer to our S/MIME “solution,” we are not only referring to our Entrust S/MIME certificates but also to integrated automation features from our technology partner, Sixscape Communications, including:
- Secure Mail Module: A security add-on for popular email clients for certificate-based digital signing and encryption of emails.
- Key Escrow Module: Enables authorized third parties to recover stored keys to decrypt data and facilitate security and compliance requirements.
- Secure Large File Transfer: Allows end-users to securely transfer large files to intended recipients using S/MIME technology.
- Mobile Device Management Module: Facilitates the delivery of keys and certificates to the user’s mobile device.
- Retrocrypt Module: Provides the ability to globally or selectively encrypt archived emails in folders and new incoming emails.